Saturday, August 20, 2011

Boston, Austin, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and New York City Property Tax LOOPHOLES By Brad Richdale


arguing lower property values due to changing market conditions.

The “exploding” sub prime-type loans will keep resetting and blowing up until 2013 so I’m sure there will be even more bank owned real estate flooding the market. This means that maybe other than a few calm places, all kinds of never before seen issues could screw up market values in hours or minutes. 

Market value is the value most states say they rely upon for valuation for the purposes of taxation. Again, I believe market values are going to be more volatile than ever before in United States. History and the volatility will continue for years to come. Volatility makes arguing that market values will become lower much easier.

If we have an 8.4 earthquake in Los Angeles and skyscrapers fall, the real estate market will be like burned toast in 10 minutes. Values could fall 80 percent in hours and never come back. 

My point again is market price, market price, market price! Every state has a book you can purchase that states its laws on real estate taxation. Usually the State Department of Revenue or similar institution will tell you how to order yours. 

I used to keep it to myself that I knew the state’s statutes on property taxation until the right time, but I always knew the state’s law on property tax valuation before I stepped foot into the assessor’s office. The paperback book that describes the statutes or laws for property tax re-valuation is not that expensive and the assessors usually know the laws. If you want to challenge them, you need to know their state’s laws so call your state’s department of revenue and ask how to get the book or go on line and search for it.

Now the Fun Part Begins

Let’s say that you did the “I’m dumb and need help” thing and met with the assessor to understand your property card and how they came to your value and you believe the value to be fair. If this happens, be grateful but I doubt the value will be fair.  Once again, we have too many constantly changing market factors that could affect everyone in this country quickly.

Even if you think you got a fair deal, you need to pull property cards of others in your neighborhood.  It’s the same process if you own commercial, industrial or any type of real estate.

Remember when companies or assessors re-value counties, they do so with computer programs. I’ve seen values double with no basis in revaluations. I had a County Assessor who had all the professional credentials imaginable see the results and say, “I guess we need to fix them.” You think? It was fall on the ground funny when I’d play the dumb moron role and hold their re-valuation manual and the property tax bill and show them the mistake that violated the manual.

I would often build a case that wasn’t simple by looking at 15 similar properties and try to see a trend in the valuations and would see the properties physically. I would always find mistakes that were easy to argue in almost 100 percent of the counties and municipalities I visited.

There are some hard-nosed, very bright assessors in big cities that are very full of themselves and they hate taxpayers. I won’t name names, but I will say this. Categorically, people are getting more pissed off than ever before about property taxes and hard-nosed arrogant assessors and angry tax payers are about to collide. I don’t want to be around when they do.

If you take the time to analyze how 15 properties around or similar to yours are valued, you will either say these guys did a good job or these guys are morons. Rarely did I find that they did a fair job, either D minus or B plus or better.

If you analyze 15 properties and their tax values, you will see some clues and you may even find a person who helps you enlist their help to get your argument prepared. I had it happen all the time when I was kind and gracious, especially with people that worked in the assessor’s office but wasn’t an assessor.

If you believe in this analysis of 15 similar properties that you have been taken advantage of, start to build your case and take copious notes as you do. If you organize a presentation of the facts sequentially and

                                                       written by Bradford Richdale 

                                         copyright Brad Richdale TM 2010 all rights reserved